Week #1: Greg Koukl- Taking Jesus Seriously
- What point or quote from Greg Koukl’s message stood out to you and why?
- Greg said “a lot of people really like Jesus but don’t take him seriously.” Christians included. Why do you think that is and what can we do as a church to change that?
- Read John 19:28-30. It is finished is a financial term used to signal the cancelling of a debt. Have you ever had a debt forgiven or gotten a warning instead of a fine? How did it impact you? What does this teach us about God?
2 Prayer Prompts
- Thank God for how Jesus suffered and died, not just for the sins of the world, but for your brokenness, that we might taste God’s perfect mercy not his perfect judgement.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal areas in your life where you haven’t been taking Jesus seriously and for the courage to surrender more fully whatever the cost.
- Discuss (listen and share) what you’ve learned with one person OR Invite someone to next Sunday’s conversation with Andrew Thunder.
Week #2: Andrew Thunder & Joel Gordon- Unity, Blessing, and Reconciliation
- What was your aha! or take away from Joel and Andrew’s message?
- Before diversity was a buzz word . . . it was a colourful brush stroke in God’s hands that he uses to help us imagine His Kingdom (cf Rev 7:9) ~ Joel Gordon. How do you envision God and his Kingdom? What can we do to enlarge our vision of God and his Kingdom?
- Read Philippians 2:1-11. Andrew shared several ways for promoting God like reconciliation. How many can you remember and how do they reflect the heart and nature of God?
2 Prayer Prompts
- Think of your own life and family of origins, it’s strengths and brokenness. Thank God for welcoming you into his family despite . . .
- Ask the Holy Spirit to bring to mind people that are hurting and/or marginalized and pray for them. Ask the Holy Spirit to show you how you can be part of their healing journey.
- In the spirit of reconciliation and seeking first to understand before being understood, take time to get to know the history and story of indigenous people here in Kingston.
Week #3: Andy Bannister- Is Christianity Bad for the Environment?
- Has your concern and or attitude regarding environmental issues changed over the years? If so, how and why?
- Read Genesis 1:26-31. Only the Christian faith can tell us why we should care about the environment and the natural world ~ Andy Bannister. How does the Christian ethic differ from the secular appeal? Why does it matter?
- Read Psalm 19:1-4. Can you identify a greater number of trees or cars? If the Bible says God knows every flower and bird, why do we spend so much effort knowing the names of man-made items. Maybe we’re paying attention to the wrong things. Maybe this is why life seems so hard. If this is our Father’s world, maybe we should pay more attention to it ~ J Matthew Sleeth. Agree or disagree? Implications?
2 Prayer Prompts
- Sorry, Lord that I have been selfish, greedy, and apathetic. That I have ignored you and not been grateful for the gift of life and of the world.
- Thank you for sending Jesus to die for my selfishness and brokenness. Please forgive me, fill me with your Spirit, and renew my heart and life from the inside out.
- Get to know God more by getting to know is his creation. Take time to learn about one God made thing in more detail and marvel (vs what is man made).